Thursday, January 31, 2008

Stove-top Machaca Beef


Back in November I posted a recipe for slow cooked Machaca Beef. Every day since then I have had hits on that recipe and people searching for it. Last week I had a chuck roast that I didn’t get around to putting in the crock-pot in the morning before I left for work. When I got home, I decided to try the same recipe on the stove-top, in a deep pot. The beef came out tender and delicious, just like the slow cooked version. I decided to shred the beef by hand, after it cooled a little. We made wonderful shredded beef tacos out of the meat. I used the leftover meat and juice to make a very tasty beef and lentil soup the next day.

Here is what I did:

1-1/2 lbs. beef roast (chuck or round)
1 large onion, sliced
8 oz. can diced green chilis
2 beef bouillon cubes
1-1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup salsa

I used a 2 lb. boneless chuck roast. Brown it over med-hi heat on both sides. As you turn to brown the second side add the sliced onions and other ingredients to the pan. Add just enough water to barely cover the meat.

Cover the pot and simmer on low heat about 2 hours, or until beef is tender. It will depend on the size of the roast. Drain and reserve liquid. Shred the beef using 2 forks to pull it apart. It should come apart easily. Combine beef, salsa, and enough of the reserved liquid to make of desired consistency.

Use the meat to make tacos, burritos, or other dishes where you want a flavorful, but not too spicy beef. I add the leftover juice to my next pot of soup or chili for a tasty broth.

4 comments:

Julie said...

This looks really good, I have cooked chuck roast in salsa and served it with rice it's always a big hit with the family.

Becky said...

I have another recipe in my archives for a slow cooker machaca beef. It is even more tender!

Bikerchickz

Deborah Dowd said...

I think Iwill give this a try with a buffalo or venison roast I have in the freezer!

Becky said...

Deborah: That sounds excellent. Those would probably be most tender done the slow-cooker method. Let me know how it comes out.

Bikerchickz