Sunday, January 27, 2008

Mixed Berry Pie – Crisp with Cherries

I wanted something sweet and pies are my favorite things. I had one frozen pie crust. It was the kind that is ready made, and then rolled up. You find them near the canned biscuits at the grocery store. I also had purchased a bag of frozen mixed berries, with Cherries. I set both out to thaw for an hour. I couldn’t wait and used them after 40 minutes, very carefully.

I first preheated the oven to 425 degrees. I stirred the berries in a bowl along with 2 very heaping Tablespoons of cornstarch; then sprinkled with a tiny bit of cinnamon. I let the berries sit for a while.

The crust is easy to roll out right into the pie dish once it’s thawed. I press into dish gently, trim off excess from the edges, and turn under the top rim a little. I use my thumbs to make an attractive pattern all around the rim.

I filled the crust with the berries and spread them out evenly. I lightly sprinkled the whole thing with just a little lemon juice.

In a small bowl I mixed about 3/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal with about 3/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I spread this on top of the berries, then dotted with butter, placed very closely all over the pie.

The pie went in the oven and took about 45 minutes at 425 degrees. The crust can get too brown in which case you place a little aluminum foil over those areas. Let it cool and serve wedges with whipped cream, or iced cream. The oatmeal topping gives a crunch that’s appealing with the berries and not too sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, we discovered your site and love the name! We like you and your motorcycle already! We haven't eaten a fruit crisp in a while, now we're craving it. Thanks!

Becky said...

Thanks for visiting. The berry crisp is my favorite. You have a nice bike too. Come back and visit my Biker Chickz Blog about motorcycling. Link is on this sidebar. I like your blog also.

Bikerchickz