Sunday, January 13, 2008

Spinach Maria

I had this side dish at a restaurant in Knoxville, Tennessee. I was never a fan of cooked spinach, but this changed my mind. I was given the recipe by my friend Danielle, who is a native of East Tennessee. Now I make it often. You can leave out the red pepper flakes, but it really is good with a little 'kick'.

16 - 20 oz. of frozen chopped spinach or 1 lb. bag of fresh spinach or a combination
1 med. chopped onion
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 to 1 cup parmesan cheese
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Seasoned bread crumbs

Cook the spinach according to directions, or steam the fresh spinach, and drain well. Saute the onions and pepper flakes in the butter until translucent. Add cream cheese and stir until it is all melted. Add the spinach and parmesan and stir through. Place in a greased 1-1/2 qt casserole dish and top with a sprinkle of crumbs, followed by some parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I posted this recipe quite a long time ago. I recently made the dish and photo recorded it. I thought maybe those of you who aren't familiar with it will be tantalized by the pictures.

The cooked spinach is draining.

The onions and pepper flakes are simmering in butter.

Melty cream cheese mixture.

The spinach is added and combined.

Ready to go into the oven.
Nicely browned and ready to eat.


I served it with Buffalo chicken strips drizzled with ranch dressing. It was a good combination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goes well with BBQ Ribs or just about anything!