Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Max Gail's Beef Stroganoff


Sometime back in the '70s I saw Max Gail on a daytime talk show cooking this dish. It was the Dinah Shore Show, which probably gives away my age. Max Gail played Det. Stan Wojciehowicz in "Barney Miller" for several years. Anyway, he cooked this very simply and quickly and I wrote down the sketchy recipe he gave as he did it. I usually adapt it slightly but I always refer back to this one for the basic stroganoff.

This is THE basic recipe he gave:

1 lb. meat
onion
mushrooms
1 cup sour cream
1 can beef consomme
egg noodles
salt and pepper

Put meat in a pan. When its on it's way to being cooked, add onions, mushrooms, consomme, and seasoning. Throw noodles in the same pot; not too many. Cover and cook until the noodles are tender. Add sour cream and heat. Serve.



Now this is what I do:

I use lean ground beef, or thin strips of round steak
1 medium onion thinly sliced 1/2 to 1 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms
5 or 6 handfuls of dry egg noodles
1 can Cambell's beef consomme
a couple dashes Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon dry parsley (fresh would be better)
1 teaspoon dried dill (fresh would also be good)
1 small container of sour cream


I use the same simple method, just give it a little flavor. Don't add more liquid or it will become soupy. The noodles need to be stirred in and stirred a few times until they are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Serve and sprinkle some parsley on top.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up, beef stroganoff was the dish you made for guests. We only ate it on special occasions, and I loved it. I think people now fix it on everyday occasions, and that a good thing. I need to make it soon! :):)

Becky said...

I don't make it very often, but I always fall back on this recipe. It is so simple.

Bikerchickz

Anonymous said...

What a surprise to find our mom's recipe here! I've been trying to find a copy of it.... bless you for taking notes. I never knew that Max had cooked it on Dinah's show.

When we were kids in the 50's and
60's we usually had "Noodles Marmaduke" when company came. Mom would make a huge pot of it that would serve us 7 kids, our parents and guests.

Great with a big salad and crunchy rolls.

I think we should rename it
"Betty Gail's Noodles Marmaduke"!

from one of Max's sisters...His
youngest and "favorite". :)