Friday, August 22, 2008

My New Vice -- Buttermilk Shake

Recently my mother sent me a few recipes that she had collected over the years. Funny how when you have a recipe blog, your mom starts digging recipes out of the woodwork. I have found some old favorites and wonderful sounding new recipes to try out.

One of the recipes she sent on an index card and it caught my eye. It was for a Buttermilk Shake. Having lived in the South I grew to enjoy anything made with buttermilk as an ingredient. I had to try the Buttermilk Shake as soon as I could purchase the ingredients. I shopped the next day and made a milkshake that evening, and the next, and the next, and the next until the ice cream was gone. Needless to say, I really loved the flavors and eventually got the texture I liked after a couple of tries. It tastes like liquid cheesecake. It is not sweet, but has the mellow tart flavor of cheesecake, or buttermilk if you want.

Buttermilk Shake

I mix the ingredients in a large plastic cup, using a wand blender to mix directly in the cup.
You could also mix a larger amount in a blender.

Scoop ice cream to just above the level that you will want the shake to end up. Fill the cup with buttermilk until it just covers the icecream. Blend with wand blender. If it is too thick add just a little more milk until it is the texture you like. Enjoy.

Don't get started on these, they can be addictive. I imagine they could cause a little weight gain if you made them too often. Try one on a hot day.

2 comments:

Reign said...

Oh goodness. I think I might just have to try this... my husband LOVES cheesecake.

What flavor of ice cream (and brand) do you recommend? I don't imagine I'd want to experiment very much with this... I don't think our waistlines would allow for it. I figured I'd just use whatever you did. :)

Becky said...

Cindy: I used vanilla ice cream, I think it was Breyers. The buttermilk had a mild but creamy texture. Yummy. My husband didn't care for this because it wasn't sweet enough. I loved it.

Bikerchickz