Tuesday, August 19, 2008

3-way Onion Burgers On Kalamata Focaccia


At a loss for how to create a tasty dinner out of a package of lean ground beef, I resorted to an old standby. I always called them "Hamburger Steaks" when cooked for dinner and served on a plate without a bun. In this case, we had just shopped at Trader Joe's and had a lovely loaf of Kalamata Olive Focaccia bread. It was thin, so we sliced it in burger sized lengths, then sliced it through parallel to the table so we could open up each section and lay the burgers in.

I mixed the Lean Ground Beef with 1/2 chopped Onion, added 1-1/2 teaspoon of Dehydrated Minced Onions, a dash of Worcestershire Sauce, along with Seasoned Salt and Pepper. I mixed this together with my hands and made 4 big pattys. I did not add an egg or fillers. I just wanted them to be meat and onions. I then sprinkled the pattys heavily with an onion powder (not salt) on top. I browned them in an old cast iron skillet and then turned down low until they were done inside.


We both made our own version:

3-way Onion Swiss Burger with Fresh Tomato, and Mayo on Olive Focaccia Bread




3-way Onion Gorganzola Burger with Romaine Lettuce and Steak Sauce on Olive Focaccia Bread


These were so tasty, and the bread was just perfect with a chewy texture and moistness from the olives. It held up well to the juicy burger and didn't fall apart.

No comments: