Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sausage, Red Beans and Rice


I just got home from a 5 day motorcycle trip so I had to get creative until I felt like going to the grocery store. I made up this concoction and it was perfect. I didn't add any more spice to this, but would if I made it again. I like to add several dashes of my favorite hot sauce to most anything. I served this along with corn. Here is what I did:


1/2 chopped bell pepper
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 lb. Hot Jimmy Dean Bulk Sausage
1 pkg. Zateran's Red Beans & Rice Mix
black pepper
olive oil

Brown the sausage on Med. Hi heat, stirring and crumbling in the pan. Add onions and bell pepper and saute all until soft. Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil, 3-1/4 cup water, and the Bean & Rice mix. Season with black pepper or hot sauce. Bring to a boil, stir, then add lid and turn down to Low heat. Cook for 25 minutes. If it is too runny for your taste, remove the lid and cook on Med. heat for a few minutes. Stir often so it doesn't stick, and reduce until you like it.

This dish would serve 4 people, along with a nice tossed salad. It was very satisfying.

No comments: