Friday, May 23, 2008

Bavarian Wiener Supper


I got this recipe from my friend Christina. I work with her husband and always envied him when he was warming up the leftovers from this meal and enjoying them for lunch. It smelled and looked really good as I have always loved sauerkraut, and frankfurters. I finally got the recipe from Christina and have made this dish often. I really enjoy the creamy texture along with the sauerkraut, and you would never know what makes it that way. If you can buy real German frankfurters for this dish it is the best. I use Kosher wieners. I think this dish is delicious and a great family meal, or if the franks arranged in a fancy pattern it would even be good for guests. This recipe makes 5-6 servings.


1 lb (8-10) frankfurters
1-10-1/2 oz can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1-1lb can (2 cups) sauerkraut, drained
4 cups diced cooked potatoes
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, spread with butter
1/4 teaspoon paprika


Halve 4 franks, reserve. Slice remaining franks 1/4 inch thick. Mix soup with the mayonnaise. Combine sliced franks with half of the soup mixture, the caraway seed, and kraut; spread in an 11x7x1-1/2 inch baking dish. (I used a 9x13 inch) Stir remaining soup mixture into potatoes; arrange around the edge of dish. Combine buttered bread crumbs with paprika; sprinkle over potatoes. Arrange franks in a design. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with spicy German mustard or mustard of your choice.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you like it. It's best when served with a 'real' Bavarian hefeweizen in a tall glass. Yummy!

Becky said...

Bil: Thanks for the tip. Those Bavarians sure know how to live!

Bikerchickz